Last year, I did a list of 22 things I did for the first time.
Since I'm turning 23 next Thursday, on November 15th, here is this year's list of 23 things I've done for the first time!
1. Made my own sushi at Johanna's place (w Redline managers) - April 27th, 2012
2. Won Division B International Speech Competition - First Place - April 26th, 2012
- got disqualified at the next level (District 21) for being 5 seconds overtime, BUT first time at District 21 as a COMPETITOR though!
3. Went to a Stand-Up Comedy Club (Yuk Yuk's) for the first time - April 27th, 2012
- which, cool enough, is owned by a finance professor I had. Went with Grace and Teresa
4. Went to Steveston Quay - April 27th, 2012, with Redline managers
5. Told a girl I loved her without knowing for sure if she loved me back - April 25th, 2012
- AWW =P
6. BMO 1/2 Marathon - beat Personal Best - 2:18:50 - May 6th, 2012
7. Jetskiied in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with Warut and Desi - nov 21, 2011
8. Off road jeeping in mexico with Blake, David, Nicole, Peter, Liz, Mahsa - nov 22, 2011
9. Cooked lamb for the first time - nov 29th , 2011
10. Partied on a rooftop club - nov 24th, 2011
11. Made Panna Cotta with Teresa - Dec 3rd, 2011
12. Made a 3D wooden model of a piano/guitar with Teresa - Dec 3rd, 2011
13. Launched QTutor.ca - Dec 13, 2011
14. Tried absinthe - Dec 26th, 2011 - with Evan Birch
15. Open Mic night - dec 19th, 2011 - with Keith and David
16. Played squash for the first time - Dec 30th, 2011 w/ John Kerr
17. Was Narrator for Mafia - January 1st, 2012 - w/ Andrew, Jenica, Beatrix, Kevin Yuen, Lucy&Helen, James and Dennis, David Ma
18. Played Bananagrams! - December 31st, 2011 - at Andrew's party
19. Had a mudfight, swam rapids, jumped off a 10 foot cliff into water, and went white water rafting in Mukwah, Alberta - July 29th, 2012, with Calgary and Edmonton orgs
20. Hit Presidents Club in sales for the first time in my career - July 28th, 2012 - w/ 649 units.
21. Became the world's youngest DTM (Distinguished Toastmaster) - Sept 23, 2012
- 5 years work finally accumulated to a milestone =D
22. Did the Super Spartan 15km Race for the first time) - Sept 22, 2012
- included running through FIRE, army-crawling through MUD and under BARBED WIRE, and failing at throwing a javelin.
23. Was featured in the Ubyssey - Oct 11th, 2012.
- w00t w00t. publicity haha.
BONUS EXTRA COOL STUFF
24. Went to Whistler for the first time! - Nov. 2-4th, 2012
25. Launched GroundWorks - October 12th, 2012, with Jeff and James Pena.
- my dream personal development company, where I get to improve myself in speaking, coaching, sales, strategizing, consulting, and networking. WOW.
- with Sage Narayan and James Tung as newly on-boarded!
26. Played Twister for the first time at WGTM Halloween Bash - October 26th, 2012.
27. Graduated from University =D - November, 2012
- no big deal haha
There are SO many more things I could have added in, but honestly, I've forgotten to over the year.
Why procrastinate when you can LIVE life and be awesome?
Action Step: Pick one thing you've always wanted to do.
Do it before the end of the year! Post below with what you did!
Written by Jay Kiew, GroundWorks strategist
I had finally come to that point. A university student's nightmare. I had conquered college through gaining exponential experiences, leader titles, and personal exploration, and now it had all come down to this.
It hit me in the portrait studio.
I was graduating.
I was actually here, getting my graduation pictures. Oh. My. God. What will I do? Where will I go? Where will I work? I thought I had a plan, a career, everything set out, but is that what I really wanted?
Over the past two weeks, I've been messing a lot with notions of 'growing up and getting a job.' To be completely honest, it scared me immensely. There were so many unknowns. Looking back on my decision in September to make my motto for the next 12 months 'pursue excellence', I wanted to make sure I hit everything I had worked so hard for throughout my 5 years of university. After all, I had beefed my resume up to get a über-awesome starting salary. And pursue excellence I did, and will continue to do, as today marks the 1st of the New Year.
But then that quote hit me - "growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.'
I only live once, so why focus on conquering a career so immensely that I miss everything else?
I came up with a secondary motto that works beside the one of 'pursue excellence'
The secondary motto is... *drum roll*....."GO BANANAS!!!"
I want this year to be CRAZAYYYYYY, full of fun and completely nuts. I want to do things I've never done, learn more from everybody I encounter, EMBRACE everything and keep on growing as a person, while HAVING THE MOST FUN OF MY LIFE.
The last idea to cement this phantasmagorical year together is to go for picture perfect.
We all have ideal pictures in our head of the way things should be, how we want things to happen, from first kisses to precise live performances to perfect ski & snowboard runs. We dream, and man, do we dream big.
For me, I just came to the reasonable conclusion, that if I'm picturing something, I should make things happen the way I see it, without self-doubt or fear. I should be EXCITEEEDDDDDDDDDDD =D
It is what it is, but it is what we make it too.
I have a strong feeling that my year is going to be picture perfect, what's your 2012 looking like?
If you were to live to 80 years old, that's how many months you have. It's approximately 27,000 days.
If I have a choice everyday to write out what that day will be, and a limited number of days, you bet that I will live everyday as if it's my last.
My blind father passed away at the age of 58 from cancer, but before he died, he told me this: 'Jay, there are only two things you can't do as a blind person. You can't drive and you can't become a surgeon.'
He was the most humble down-to-earth person I've had in my life, and he vigorously pursued each day with the intent to discover more about himself and the world.
I can only hope I do the same.
What will you do with your 960?
A blog on my continuing journey through life, covering self-development and success strategies, but also personal reflection.